Air Filter Research 3:
PowerCore 4x4 air filter kit
Install and Test
Donaldson XLC200K Installation
Step 1: Remove the original Toyota air box.
- Unclip the loom using a small flat-blade screwdriver to release the clip, then disconnect the wiring connector from the MAF sensor.
- Ensure the engine air duct is clean by wiping with a damp cloth.
- Loosen the hose clamp on the air inlet duct.
- Loosen the hose clamps on the engine air duct, and remove it, then block the intake opening with a clean cloth to prevent contamination while you replace the airbox.
- Using a 10mm socket and extension, remove the three mounting bolts securing the factory airbox.
- Lift the factory airbox slightly, then use a small flat blade screwdriver to release the battery earth lead clip.
- Lift the airbox out of the vehicle.
- Using a phillips-head screwdriver, remove the MAF sensor from the factory airbox and set it aside.
Step 2: Prepare the PowerCore airbox for installation
- Insert the supplied wading plug into the drain hole on the bottom of the airbox. Pushing the plug through from the outside whilst gently pulling it through from the inside works best.
- Secure the metal mounting brackets to the top and bottom of the airbox using the supplied bolts, washers and spring washers.
- Ensure that the rubber isolators are fitted to the metal brackets correctly.
- Install the MAF sensor into the airbox, using a 3mm allen key, the supplied cap screws, washers and spring washers.
Step 3: Install the new airbox
- Carefully place the airbox into position, inserting the airbox inlet into the snorkel/inlet air duct in the guard. Don't tighten the hose clamp yet.
- Remove the cloth from the engine air intake.
- Connect the engine air duct between the airbox outlet and engine inlet. Don't tighten the hose clamps yet.
- Secure the housing in position using the three supplied bolts, washers and spring washers
- Tighten the airbox inlet hose clamp, and the two hose clamps on the engine air duct.
- Connect the MAF sensor plug.
- Screw the supplied service indicator on to the airbox, and reset it by pressing the button on the end.
Donaldson XLC200K / P645144 Element replacement
The replacement element for the XLC200K is part number P645144. The PowerCore elements have very high dust holding capacity, and should only be changed when the service indicator shows a full red window. There is nothing to be gained by changing the element before restriction is excessive. It's a good idea to keep a spare element on hand if you're travelling though.
Changing the filter element
- Inspect the service indicator. The element should be replaced only when the service indicator window is completely red.
Before you start, remove the new element from its box and check to ensure it’s undamaged.
Wipe the top of the housing and ends of the engine air duct with a damp cloth to remove dust and prevent engine contamination while you change the element.
Loosen the hose clamps on the engine air duct, and remove the duct. Block the engine intake with a clean cloth to prevent contamination.
Release the two metal clamps securing the airbox lid, hinge the lid downwards, then remove it and set aside.
Grip the filter element by the black handles in the centre, and lift it out of the housing.
Wipe the housing interior and the top seal mounting surfaces with a clean damp cloth. Also wipe the seal surface and inside of the lid.
Inspect the wading plug in the bottom of the housing and replace it if damaged or missing.
Insert the new element into the housing, ensuring it’s correctly seated in position with the seal sitting flat and square on the housing sealing surface.
Replace the lid of the housing by inserting the tabs into the bottom, then hinging it into position. Then clip the lid into place using the two metal clamps, ensuring it is seated properly on the housing. Very little force should be required.
Remove the cloth from the engine intake and replace the engine air duct. With the duct correctly aligned, tighten the two hose clamps.
Reset the service indicator by pressing the button on the end.