Custom Offroad Accessories
Note: Unless otherwise stated, I used loctite on ALL bolts during the installation, adding additional security to cope with vibration.
Step 1: Remove the original underbody plates
- If you have an ARB bullbar fitted, remove the centre stone tray that runs back from the bullbar.
- Remove the factory sheet metal plates under the engine/differential, plus the centre support for those plates, by undoing the 14 bolts as shown in the photo.
- Remove the plastic panel under the rear of the engine, by removing the four retaining bolts.
- Remove the four bolts retaining the factory gearbox protection plate, and remove the plate.
Step 2: Install the new protection plates
- Use low-mid strength thread locking fluid (eg Loctite 222 or 243) on all bolts. Don't use high strength/stud lock, as the bolts need to be removed every 10,000km to change the oil and filter. If you prefer, you can use spring washers instead.
- It's important to mount the main two engine plates in the correct order.
- Fit the centre plate first, but do not tighten the mounting bolts.
- Next, fit the front plate, ensuring that the rear mounting points sit between the rear plate and the chassis. See the photos. Once the plates are positioned correctly, tension the mounting bolts.
- Next, fit the gearbox protection plate and tension the mounting bolts.
- Finally, if you have an ARB bullbar, refit the centre stone tray.